[lit-ideas] Happy Hiroshima Day!

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 06 Aug 2005 15:36:22 -0400

Andy: Do you really think we flawed humans are doing the best we can? To me that is a depressing thought.

-----

Eric: Happy Hiroshima Day!

Yes I think we do the best we can, not the best we can imagine. Far from being depressing, it is quite hopeful that we haven't destroyed each other yet.

In the early '80s I thought we were all doomed because of the build-up in USSR/US nuclear missiles. I mean, having two monkeys with thousands of nuclear weapons each is almost as bad as having a thousand monkeys with two nuclear weapons each. But the expected technical systems failure resulting in nuclear war did not happen. Yay!

So if the monkeys with nukes can prevent the other monkeys from acquiring nukes, maybe, just maybe, all the monkeys will be able to live until we all put our nukes away ... or develop even more potent planet-smashing weapons.