[lit-ideas] HP Sauce (Was: HP Grice)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 30 Sep 2004 21:12:06 EDT

P. A. Stone asked:

>>Did Grice invent HP sauce? (ambiguity warning) Or did he just
>>imply it?

Julie asks:

>HP sauce?

Donal' M(')cEvoy replies, expectedly, citing Popper (the self-hating  Hun):

>Well, HP comes (I believe) from Houses of Parliament,
>and Grice did not invent this term or (except in an
>_unconscionably_ wide sense) *imply* it (cf. does
>the acceptance of false and even contradictory theories  as
>*existing* in Popper's World 3 mean this _world_ is,
>itself, false or contradictory? because this is *implied*
>by the acceptance into W3 of such
>false or contradictory  theories?).

Now I am confused. So what was he (Popper) doing in the Houses of the
Parliament?

Anyway, he possibly soon realised that, _contra_ Henninge, there's no  German
for 'conjecture' or 'refutation' (two Latinisms).

Cheers,

JL
   Will Translate