[lit-ideas] Re: Guppy

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 09:05:50 -0500

When we first moved into our house 25 years ago we were idealistic, romantic
(we built in a development, original owners).  We got ourselves a wood burning
stove, put it in the family room.  Boy, did I find out that I'm no pioneer.
For the last 23 years or so it's been a decoration.  Looks really nice, it has
its own brick hearth and probably birds nests throughout the chimney.  We
haven't used the wood burning fireplace in the living room for the same reason.
 Too much trouble.  Love that oil heat.

Date:12/19/05 6:34:02 PM Central Standard Time
From:robert.paul@xxxxxxxx
To:lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Sent on:

Eric Yost wrote:

> My complaint though is heat. I live in an apartment with steam heat and
> the options of ON or OFF. The landlord has caved in to the demands of
> the resident grannies and the apartment is always at 90 degrees-F, the
> hot water always scalding. I have to keep my windows open all night.
> While much of the country frets about heating bills, these eastside digs
> are tropical. I hate heat, and should be in the Yukon or up W. Oshevsky
> way. Blek. Hak-patooey!

We lucked out with the freezing rain that drove David Ritchie to his
battery-operated TV. Plenty of sleet and freezing rain here, but the
power stayed on (probably because they wouldn't dare leave Lake Oswego
in the dark).

Just after the holidays in 1967 I went to an APA meeting in Philadelphia
and then to New York to visit a friend who lived in a horrible walk up
on Clinton Street. He had the same kind of wretched steam heat that Eric
mentions. It came from a large pipe, at least a foot across, which
emerged from the floor and went out the ceiling and it was always on.
Tropical was hardly the word for it.

Robert Paul,
remembering the coal fireplace in Northern Berkshire,
somewhere south of Reed College.