[lit-ideas] Re: Guns and the older woman, continued

Reminds me of Nigeria.  My friend the Nigerian Airways Rep said that guns
aren't allowed there and the punishment is severe if one is caught with a gun;
so small gangs of teenagers and young men can pretty much rob whomever they
like.  They have a few spears, some knives, and every once in a while one will
have a gun, but it may or may not work.  The thing is, no family or person can
readily prevent these small gangs from robbing a person or a house.  Civilians
are at their mercy.  My friend wanted to buy a gun while he was here.  He was
willing to risk the penalty rather than give into one of these gangs -- of
course this is the real world and not your mythical paradise where everyone
loves everyone else . . . in fact, pardon the intrusion.  Go on with your
fantasy.

. . . but, but, but, policemen will be our friends???  Did you really read
this:
http://www.ajc.com/metro/content/metro/atlanta/stories/2007/04/26/0426feds.html

And how are the police going to carry out a no-knock warrant if they don't get
guns?  Don't forget, you are engaging in a fantasy.  People WILL have guns,
especially behind doors the police want to break down with no-knock warrants .
. . most of the time . .. except for the older women.

Lawrence

From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Fri, Apr-27-2007 12:19 PM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: Guns and the older woman, continued
LH:
>>Another observation has to do with the police.  In Mike's mythical future,
>>all civilians have had their guns taken away and melted down into pruning
>>hooks.  Only the police have guns.<<

Wrong again.  Can't you gun nuts get anything right?  The police would not
be allowed to carry guns (or even own them) in my world.  There would
probably have to be a SWAT unit, but it would be very select and very, very
well trained.  But they would doubtless be as lonely as the Maytag
repairman.  There's no reason for anyone to have a gun if no one else has a
gun.  So you can relax, Lawrence, policemen will be your friends.

Mike Geary