[lit-ideas] Gunfire at the Rayburn Building

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 09:57:16 -0700

http://www.timesonline.co.uk/article/0,,11069-2198761,00.html

I remember a time in Korea when we were on high-alert.  North Koreans might
have infiltrated to where we were.  Walking the furthest post along a narrow
path next to a fence and seeing the Yellow Sea on the other side from which
they would come if they were coming was exciting.   Those walking post
carried Thompson Submachine Guns. When I was relieved, for example, I would
turn my Thompson over to my replacement.  The formal procedure was that I
was supposed to unload it and then hand it to him and he was to reload it.
You don't hand a loaded weapon to another Marine.

One night we heard Gunfire at our compound.  We went on alert, but it was
shortlived.  The way you prove to your replacement that the Thompson you are
handing him is unloaded is to pull the trigger.  Fortunately another part of
the procedure was that you point the Thompson straight up in the air while
you do so.

There is always some sort of disciplinary action when that happens depending
upon where your gun was pointed when it went off.  I don't remember how that
guy was disciplined - probably extra mess-duty.   I imagine that if one of
the local police at the Rayburn Building discharged his firearm accidentally
he would be disciplined as well, and it might be something more draconian
than extra mess duty.

Lawrence