[lit-ideas] Re: Ground Zero and Dowdophobia

  • From: Eric <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 23 Aug 2010 18:12:31 -0400

On 8/23/2010 4:52 PM, Lawrence Helm wrote:
There is no one on Frank Rich's list of Right-Wing demons that I read. So to
learn that Mike read's their Left Wing equivalent, and offers them up with
approval disappointed me, and perhaps Eric.

In argumentation, it's an initial assumption that both sides share a common goal -- resolving an issue in the best possible way.

That used to be partially true in politics, but lately I've sensed that political ideologues would be happy to see the US destroyed if it proved their points. In other words, that initial assumption of a shared goal, the best possible course of action, that all sides want what's in the national interest, no longer seems to apply.

Not trusting the motives of writers like Dowd, I see no merit in taking up their claims and counterclaims.