[lit-ideas] Re: Grice & Grice: The Double Act

  • From: Mike Geary <jejunejesuit.geary2@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 11 May 2010 00:27:01 -0500

There was a time when I was as young as our young JL and I believed language
was the key to unlocking why we think how we think.  So, about 30 years ago
I bought the book "Readings in the Philosophy of Language" edited by Jay F.
Rosenberg and Charles Travis (Prentice-Hall, 1971).  Of the 36 essays
therein, (the source of my list) I've read maybe (perhaps) 3 or 4, dibbled
and dabbled in others.  It's all really very boring to a refrigeration
mechanic.

But I still believe that language is the key to who (whom?) we are. But it's
not just linguistics, it's the emotional attachment that we invest certain
words with. Our prejudices infect our language like some terrible parasite.
I've come to believe most in prejudice.

To relieve Lawrence of any guilt, I am smart in some ways, stupid in others,
as I suspect most of us are. "Doth God exact day labor light denied?"   I
don't know anyone who has changed his/her mind through argument, only
through the recognition that what they believe isn't working.  You haven't
reached that point yet, obviously. : )  Maybe someday.

Mike Geary
Memphis

On Mon, May 10, 2010 at 10:44 PM, Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx