[lit-ideas] Grice At The Counter

I was reading in the New York Times, Prof. Lynne Rosenthal, who teaches
English at Columbia, was pretty annoyed when she was asked -- by the policemen
 -- to leave a Starbucks shop on 62nd Street and 8th, New York. The
incident ran  as follows:

Prof. Rosenthal: A bagel, please?
"Starbucks partner": Multigrain?
Prof. Rosenthal: Yes, multigrain, thank you.
"Starbucks partner": Would you like any creem cheese or butter on it?
Prof. Rosenthal: You ARE an arsehole, aren't you?

-----

The cops were told: "She is the one to blame. She refused to answer the
question."

On Gricean grounds.

"When I go to Burger King," Prof. Rosenthal explained, "I don't need to
specify all the things I do _not_ want".

Speranza -- Bordighera