[lit-ideas] Re: Greek To Me

  • From: karltrogge@xxxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 13 Jul 2009 04:09:24 +0200

On 13-Jul-09, at 3:43 AM, karltrogge@xxxxxxxx wrote:

And now to bed (it's 3:40 a.m. over here!).

Good thing I checked my mail before I acted on that - for there's something there that would have no doubt seeped into my sleeping consciousness and given me NIGHTMARES!

On 13-Jul-09, at 3:34 AM, Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx wrote:

I cannot 'contradict' "p" without being _false_ myself, I expect Socrates is implicating. For surely one _can_ contradict Truth.

Sure one can - as I said - and then one proves the opposite of what one is claiming, by RAA! Read it AGAIN.

That was Hegel's pastime in looking for the Synthesis that he hoped was corporized in the Kingdom of Prussia:

               truth        <--------->      falsehood

            THESIS                          ANTI-THESIS

                p                                    ~p

                             the truth-value
                            gap
                            (SYNTHESIS)

     ~~p <=> p

Ye gods and little fishes! Not content with getting Plato, Kant and Strawson wrong, he's started in on Hegel! Give me strength O Lord!

Can you cite me ONE - that's right, ANY - passage from Hegel that supports the dog's breakfast that you've spewed over my screen above?

I would suggest that you RUN do not walk to your local bookseller and acquire a copy of Michaelm Inwood's A HEGEL DICTIONARY (Oxford: Blackwell, 1992). Look up the entry "truth, falsity and correctness". Try to reconcile what is said there with ANY of what you have written above.

You'll love it JL - there's a whole chapter on 'Hegel and his language', including etymology. (You can actually find much of this online at Google Books!)

Karl Trogge
Hamburg

P.S. I'm TERRIBLE at the rhetorical aspects of communication and sometimes go way over the top (especially at 4 in the morning). If my 'Ye gods and little fishes', 'give me strength o lord', 'dog's breakfast', etc. get to be too much please let me know. It's all meant with a ;-) , like much of what you write ...

Karl