[lit-ideas] Re: Global warming claims tropical island

  • From: Andy Amago <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 28 Dec 2006 22:34:17 -0500 (GMT-05:00)

2006 was low in hurricanes because of an El Nino.  GW is associated with more severe droughts and floods and hurricanes.  Snow storms, I don't know.  Tsunamis have nothing to do with the weather.  The weather will keep going even as the climate changes, but the overall trend is definitely in one direction.  There are no scientists who dispute it.

Also, there definitely are pictures of glaciers then and now.  Not only glaciers, but scientists use "snow rings" in snow cores.  They can look at a snow ring and tell you where on the ring the Clean Air Act was passed, the rings have that much information.  The troubling thing is that they're finding that historically changes have been sudden, in under a decade, even in as little as three years.  And truly, once the conveyor belt stops, it will be like turning off the heat under a pot of boiling water, it won't take long to cool down.

As far as the ice shelf in Antarctica, the prediction of 100 years and the reality of 35 days is so disparate as to make irrelevant all issues of prediction.  What it proves is that this thing is galloping, not creeping.  As far as moving inland, nah.  I'm really more curious than anything else, and vindicated in my opinions of the human race, how utterly willfully unconscious they are about this, and the really sad part, they don't want to know.

Also, you're wrong about Al Gore.  He's been spreading the word about this since graduate school.  He's been mocked mercilessly and the book he wrote probably cost him the election.  In the movie there's a shot, a couple of times I think, of him walking down a dark backstage alley, alone.  Obviously it's symbolic of how alone he is in this, and he is.  He said he gave the lecture 1,000 and then made the movie.  He makes the point that some people (the oil industry) will make a lot of money, but where will they spend it if the planet dies?  I guess it's hard to believe that some people are not driven by money.  I told you, I came away from the movie thinking that Al Gore is one of the few truly good people in the world.