[lit-ideas] Re: Giving Thanksgiving/Adorno and TAP

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 07 Dec 2010 09:01:00 -0800

Omar wrote

Well, I guess that it is in the eye of the beholder to some extent, but I believe that few if any democratic states grant the chief executive the ability to veto legislation, appoint the supreme judges and the major ministers (Secretary of State, Defense etc) and issue decrees that have the force of law as long as they are not openly unconstitutional.

I suggest you look up the word 'authoritarian' in any English dictionary. It is not in the eye of the beholder that in the US the president is not elected by a majority of the people,' etc. It's interesting that you believe that the president of the US has some absolute power; that he or she cannot be removed from office by legal means, etc., and that you had no clear understanding of how the US is governed before you pronounced it 'authoritarian.'

I'm really out of this conversation now.

Robert Paul