[lit-ideas] Re: Giving Thanksgiving/Adorno and TAP

  • From: Eric Yost <mr.eric.yost@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 06 Dec 2010 17:32:37 -0500

On a dark and stormy night, Donal McEvoy wrote:
So how does pseudo-kinship furnish a specific explanation for fascist
tendencies as opposed to anti-fascist ones?

Even though we haven't really defined "fascist tendencies," except as a disposition toward something we generally dislike, cheering on an extremely bossy government for example, one is pressed why we seek a "specific explanation" for it. Why should we look for it except as an expression of one's personal ideology, i.e., an expression of the need to look down and dominate those with whom we disagree?

Gaston: There should be a world government.
Alphonse: You have fascist tendencies.

Sunlight, for example, can be used to explain plant life and atmospheric motion.

What level of explanation is required for fascist tendencies?