[lit-ideas] Geary Voice Recognition Software, Inc.

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 5 Mar 2009 14:15:56 EST

In a message dated 3/5/2009 1:46:39 P.M. Eastern  Standard Time,
judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
"I say “boggle”… it  hears “ogle”

I say “what time is it?”… it hears “times it”

I say  “flashlight”… it hears “fleshlight”

I say “worthy”… it hears “warranty”  "

so it goes with voice software.

-----

MEMPHIS, the Townhall.

Press Conference.

JOURNALIST. You have news?
GEARY. Yes. My new software recognition device.
JOURNALIST. Not the same Grice-Device sh*t, right?
GEARY [cannot helping laughing] No! This one was created with Andreas  Ramos.
JOURNALIST. So what's the deal?
GEARY. Well, the inspiration was J. Evans's report of problems they were
having with the usual software predictably cutting 'clusters'.
JOURNALIST. What d'you mean.
GEARY. Phonetically, the unaccented syllable got 'dropped', and thus not
recognised in the software. "What TIME is IT?" is head as "TIME IT". "fl -schwa

-shlight" is heard "fl schwa sch light", etc. It would not recognise unvoiced
either, 'wor DTH y" is turned to standard dental, and schwaes introduced by
default, "warrantee".
JOURNALIST. So what have you come up with?
GEARY. Latin. We find the vowel clusters in Latin are pure.

Cheers,

JL
steps!
%3D62%26bcd%3DfebemailfooterNO62)