[lit-ideas] Re: Fwd: Pinch Me ...a message from Michael Moore

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 6 Nov 2008 23:01:32 +0000 (GMT)

I mean that if racism did not exist people would not be classified in this way.

> Why does even 1/4 of ones grandparents make someone black
> over white?

It doesn't necessarily. But insofar as it does (does socially, does in that a
person is regarded as black or anyway as NotWhite -- and so, black) it is
because of racism and the legacy of racist categories - that perists today.
E.g, in South Africa under apartheid some children of 'white' parents who were
found to be in some sense NotWhite could be, were, taken away, they became
'black' or perhaps 'coloured'.  It is agsinst that background and the
background of racism elsewhere, it is *because* of it, that people regard
someone who is, say, half-white, as half-black.  And while racism exists, there
is no point in writing 'race' out of the picture.