[lit-ideas] Re: Fw: Re: [THEORIA] Bush's Lost Year

  • From: Carol Kirschenbaum <carolkir@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 20:14:45 -0700

Dowd has been writing about Bush's propaganda for nearly 4 years now. Some
of us think Kerry needs a good kick in the arse from those who want him to
win. As for the guys Kerry booted off his campaign, he stuck with Shrum, one
of the few people who gets hired despite having devised losing campaign
strategies and speeches for such luminaries as Dukakis. (Does Kerry's
unswift Swift Boat response remind you of Dukakis's low-keyed reaction to
any devastating campaign ads pulled on him? It should. Shrum was there.)

By the way, your criticism of the NY Times is that it's not a propaganda
machine. Some might disagree with you there, but fortunately journalism
isn't entirely devoid of independent glimmers, here and there. You're free
to hate Dowd, but criticizing her for not being "helpful" to Kerry, in
pre-election days, rather misses the point. She's not being paid to promote
Kerry or anyone else. Once a journalist behaves like that, unthinkingly,
they become nothing more than PR flaks. In my opinion, Kerry could use a few
loud, gutsy, critical voices within his camp.
Carol