[lit-ideas] Re: Fukyama on Neoconservatism

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 21 Feb 2006 15:31:31 -0800

No, not all of our troops are living up to their Uniform Code of Military
Justice.  That shouldn't surprise anyone.  No military ever functions
entirely in accordance with its code.  That's why you have a code.  When
someone violates it you punish them.  It is interesting that the Islamists
do function in accordance with their code when they behead, cut off limbs,
throw acid in the faces of uncovered women, etc.

It is also interesting is that so many of those appalled by our soldiers
failings (which probably are no greater than the failings of any other army
ever) don't use the same standard to judge the Islamists.  But then the same
standards couldn't be applied, which gives support to Samuel P. Huntington's
thesis that there is too much difference between the Civilizations for them
ever to agree.  They decapitate, murder, maim and we say nothing.  But we
flush a Koran down a toilet (or seem to) and the Islamists shake in outrage
and we shake with them.

At least 100,000 Mojahedin (the opposition to Khomeini's party) were
executed by Khomeini's people before Khomeini was firmly in place, but who
knows something like that?  Who cares?  We care about prisoners mistreated
at Abu Ghraib.

We don't have the same standards and we don't seem to know it - or care.

Lawrence