[lit-ideas] Fukuyama and the End of America

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 31 Mar 2006 21:43:03 -0800

As I said, I read Fukuyama's End of History.

Fukuyama is very intelligent and a good writer. He distinguishes issues clearly and lays out the threads carefully.

It's very fascinating. But a cobra in the garage would also be fascinating.

It would be useful to summarize what he is doing and its implications. By reading Fukuyama, you get a clear understanding of the neocon position towards the world, its enemies (such as the Soviets and the America people), and how it intends to deal with them.

It would take me several weeks to write a review summary. But I simply don't have time. To unpack one of Fukuyama's concepts requires that one also explain the new definitions that he uses. When he uses words such as democracy, liberal, freedom, and so on, he doesn't mean what we understand by those words.

The book also explains why the neocons are able to tell lies and why they have an indifferent attitude towards facts. Someone who points out that there were no WMDs in Iraq; that only proves he doesn't have the moral courage to invade Iraq. Anyone who refuses to invade is anti-American.

We are in very serious trouble. The neocons have an extremely radical agenda. When Cheney talks about a global war that will last decades, he isn't exaggerating. He really means it. If they can, they will launch the war to end all wars: a war against every government they don't like. And we know that's a long list.

I don't see how this is going to end. I don't believe the neocons are going to just give up power if they clearly lose the next election. Their Trotskyist attitude will permit them to do whatever it takes, no matter how extreme, to stay in power. They did whatever it took, no matter how illegal, to start a war. Why do any less to stay in power?

They see themselves as a elite of noble warriors, surrounded by traitors and weaklings. That kind of insular paranoia leads to attacks against everyone.

After WWII, people said that one couldn't be surprised over the war; it was all in Mein Kampf. That occurred to me while reading Fukuyama: we will not be able to be surprised when it happens: the neocons laid it out already.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com