[lit-ideas] Frigga's Poem

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Fri, 24 Feb 2006 04:05:10 -0600

THE CAT'S MEOW

My cats speak Meeowwnese
I've told them not to but they ignore me
If I say "You want to eat?"
They understand that all right.
"Want to go out?"  they run to the door.
So it's not that they don't understand English
it's just their stubborn resistance to humanization
that keeps them from speaking real words.

So I bought a mynah bird and taught it all the words
I wanted them to learn, like "I love you, Mike" and
"You're so tall and powerful, thank you for being you."
The mynah spoke the sentences better than I did actually
and so I left her with my cats for weeks on end.
hoping they'd get the hint that words were transspecieal.
They should at least learn to say "Thank you." in modern English.

But no, the mynah started meeowwing instead.
God, I hate cats.

Mike Geary
cat man do