[lit-ideas] Re: Forged Documents

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 25 Sep 2004 13:18:26 -0700

> ck: The mess up was on the part of CBS.  Fifteen years ago, almost editor I
> dealt with, as a reporter, would have laughed in my face had I tried to get
> a newspaper to publish an assertion from a source whose materials I could
> not vouch for--in the context of ANY story.

A major problem for the large news services is the web: bloggers and websites
can move
extremely fast. They can publish a story literally within minutes. They don't
bother with
nonsense such as checking the sources (or even common sense.)

The Monica story, the resignation of Trent Lott (Senate Majority Leader), the
Abu Ghraib the
CBS forged memos: all of these stories were led by websites.

CBS/NBC/ABC/CNN/WashPost/NYT have learned that if they don't break a story
fast, they will
be left in the dust.

There's also the problem of backlash. CBS is being viciously hammered by
rightwingers to
fire Dan Rather. If CBS fires him, that's pretty much the end of American news.
The major
news media have been extremely passive and uncritical.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com