[lit-ideas] Re: Five Years Ago

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 23:36:56 -0700

Lawrence of Iraq writes:

Our Left isn't support Islamism in Iraq.

No, the US rightwing, incl. you, is supporting Islamism in Iraq.

Under Saddam, Iraq was a secular dictatorship. The neocons toppled Saddam. Who would take over? Well, the neocons insisted on democracy, therefore the largest faction would win. Namely, the Shiite. Guess what? They did. The neocon policy and strategy PRODUCED the Shiite state in Iraq.

It was so obvious this would happen.

The Bush White House then began talking about doing the same brilliant manuver in Syria. Topple another secular dictatorship and let the population, mostly Islamic, make a free choice.

Well, Israel put a stop to that little plan. "No, thank you, please, it's quite all right, we're just rather not have another Islamicist government. Please leave Syria alone. Run along now and play in Iraq."

But all this can be pulled together if we use an approach like we used in Afghanistan.

What approach? There is no strategy in Afghanistan. A secret British military report says Afghanistan is total chaos. Five provinces are controlled by the Taliban now. They are growing.

Despite superior firepower and military hardware, the Talib guerillas are pushing NATO forces back.

http://news.independent.co.uk/world/asia/article1523144.ece

The Afghani are going to throw another global superpower out of their country.

These defeats are going to have very serious consequences for the USA.

- If the USA can't win against lightly-armed, poorly trained guerillas in Afghanistan, then very few armies will take US military force seriously. We are going to lose our credibility in deterrance. North Korea will thumb its nose at the USA.

- No one in the USA will support another foreign adventure. The USA may turn isolationist and withdraw from international commitments, both treaties and military alliances. The power vacuum will be filled by China and other large powers.

- In the Middle East, the secular governments (Egypt, Jordan, etc.) and the conservative governments (Saudi Arabia, etc.) will consider what to do without relying on US military protection.

These are very bad things for the USA. How did it happen? It wasn't defeatist leftists who did this. It was entirely the results of the policies and actions of the neocons and their rightwing militarist allies. These unrealistic idealists wrecked American prestige and power.

And they are fully unable to either admit what they did or hold themselves
accountable.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com