[lit-ideas] Re: Five Years Ago

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 22:10:10 -0700

Our Left isn't support Islamism in Iraq.  It is supporting the Islamist
position here in this country in the Media, universities, etc.  They are
undermining our will to persevere in a difficult situation in the Middle
East.  Islamism doesn't equal Shiism; so I don't know what you mean.

Vali Nasr, purported to be the greatest authority on political Islam said
(several days ago on CSPAN2) regarding Iraq that the Sunni insurgents hoped
by being as disruptive as possible to convince the US to leave and the
current government that it couldn't succeed.  Initially the Shiites took
these attacks without responding.  But eventually the Shia militias decided
enough was enough and have been striking at the Sunnis to show them that
they cannot succeed in what they planned.  Nasr didn't say that the Sunnis
would now automatically all come to the table.   In fact he thought we
should attempt to bring pressure to bear on them from Saudi Arabia.  But
Iran and Syria would need to be part of that as well.  The situation could
develop into a Civil War but we aren't there yet.  He says the Shias look to
Iran for protection.  The Sunnis look to Saudi Arabia and the Kurds look to
us.  But all this can be pulled together if we use an approach like we used
in Afghanistan.

I don't know what you mean by an Islamicist government.  The government is
still technically democratic, part Shia, part Sunni and part Kurd.

Lawrence