[lit-ideas] Re: Five Years Ago

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 13 Sep 2006 00:39:03 -0400

Iran's got Iraq one way or the other, so we may as well have them friend as
foe.  Afghanistan has been lost for years.  It's just ripening now, that's all,
and the horrendous drug trade, basically their only crop, is financing the
Taliban along with the war lords.  My intuition tells me that Ahmadinejad talks
a good line the way Reagan talked a good line to give himself credibility and
A's just paving the way for the mullahs who are a lot more reasonable than we
give them credit for in our paranoid rants.  They may not be a democracy, but
they're politically savvy and crafty.  Certainly they're not insane, which is
what they would have to be to drop a bomb on Israel.  The consensus is that the
Iranian people are passive and even supportive of the U.S.  Of course attacking
their country will probably change that.  The Saudis I'm having a harder time
with because they're allied with the U.S. more or less, and we've managed to
get ourselves reviled in the M.E.  One of OBL's thin
 gs is that the U.S. has to get out of Saudi Arabia.  I have a less clear
understanding of that end of it and how it could be handled.  The Sunnis are
the majority yet they're concentrated in Indonesia, Pakistan.  In Pakistan
Musharif is basically walking a tightrope.