[lit-ideas] Re: Five Years Ago

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 12 Sep 2006 20:59:03 -0700

You know, Irene I discussed these matters in a note to Eric yesterday.  I
didn't think it was too long for you -- not your anti-Bush and Leftist
maunderings, of course, but the approach toward Iran.  Vali Nasr, purported
by some to be the greatest authority on political Islam implied that if we
could reach an agreement with Iran, that could go a long way toward solving
the Iraq problem.  Iran has weight with Syria and if the two of them decided
to stop the insurgency from their countries that would be a major help.
Then we would need the Saudis to influence the Iraqi Sunnis and we'd be home
free.  Nasr said that in Iraq the Shiites trust Iran the most, the Sunnis
trust the Saudis the most and the Kurds trusts the US the most. [a
paraphrase from a CSPAN 2 interview with Vali Nasr in regard to his new book
The Shi Revival.]

Lawrence

.

  _____