[lit-ideas] Re: Fictional characters

  • From: Robert Paul <rpaul@xxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 03 Jan 2007 14:05:57 -0800

Well done, everybody. I was surprised that (9) seemed harder than (1) and (7).
Answers below.

1. Who was 'terribly fond of turbot'?

Levin, in Anna Karenina.

2. Whose spirit appeared in George F. Babbitt's parlor?

Dante's [in Lewis' Babbitt]

3. Who was once middleweight boxing champion of Princeton?

Robert Cohn, in The Sun Also Rises.

4. Who ate with relish the inner organs of beasts and fowls?

Leopold Bloom, in Ulysses.

5.'Reader, I married him.' Who was she and whom did she marry?

Jane Eyre. Rochester. [in Austen's Jane Eyre]

6. Who, perhaps, had been his competition?

St John Rivers.

7. Who was buried in 'the lonely churchyard on the hill'?

Michael Furey, in Joyce's The Dead.

8. Who is said to have 'a very satirical eye'?

Mr Darcy, in Pride and Prejudice

9. Who waited twenty years for whom, and died upon his return?

Argos, his dog, waited twenty years for Odysseus to return to Ithaca,
and died soon after recognizing him. (Everybody in Ithaca waited twenty years for Odysseus to return, but only Argos died at the sight of him.)

10. Who said, 'I do my own leg work, and there are a lot of guys who
will tell me what I want to know because they know what I'll do to them
if they don't.'?

Mike Hammer, in Mickey Spillane's I, The Jury.

11. X took Y from Z, causing Z to sulk until the death of W. Who was Y?

Briseis. Agamemnon took her from Achilles, who thereupon withdrew from the battle before Troy, and sulked in his tent until his rage after his friend Patroklus was killed impelled him to return to the fighting to avenge his death.

Robert Paul
Reed College