[lit-ideas] Father Geary's Tongue

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 18 Jun 2009 22:26:54 EDT

In a message dated 6/18/2009 8:53:58 P.M. Eastern Daylight Time, Jlsperanza
 writes:

I find  it hard to believe that people can respond to poetry in a language
not their  native tongue to the same degree as with poetry written in their
"mother"  tongue.

----

Some people think Nannies (and Mothers) are more important than Fathers
(and Daddies) but Next Sunday is Daddy's Day--

If I speak Spanish, it's because of my Daddy. My mother only taught me
little nursery rhymes, like "Mary Had A Little Lamb", etc. -- What's worse, she
 PLAYED that long-playing record to me, as she would go out.

My Nanny was a Native-American who could not speak any language correctly.

My brother was only one year older than I, so he couldn't provide, as much
as he could, any linguistic input that I could make some profit with.

But my father, an architect, spoke fluently and it's "FATHER TONGUE" for
me.

JLS
   Buenos Aires, Argentina
fingertips.