[lit-ideas] Re: Famous Writers Who Were Virgins

  • From: Sue Trevor <suettrevor@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 30 Apr 2010 19:30:20 -0700 (PDT)

Mr. Speranza,

You appear to think that "breaking" the hymen is the same as losing one's
virginity. This is not the usual meaning of "virginity," even though it is a
"test" of virginity in some ethnic groups. A broken hymen is just that,
although, as I say, it is taken by the medically illiterate as a sign that a
woman has had sexual intercourse, which, when I was in school counted as losing
one's virginity.

I could point out to you that despite the religious and cultural focus on the
virginity of women, men, too, are virgins until they have had intercourse--one
way or another--but I doubt you would listen.

Sue Trevor
Northridge CA