[lit-ideas] Re: Faith

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 17 May 2005 00:08:28 -0400

I would furthermore argue that 'headcounts' are
necessary for any form of discourse that aspires to 'solid content'.  My
final point would be that 'headcounts' are not a matter of numbers but
an indicator of the coherence and veracity of that which aspires to
'solid content'.

You are raising special cases of headcount--the headcount among experts
  in a given field--and substituting it for the way headcount was
intended in our discussion.

In the context of our discussion, the solid content of a religious
viewpoint is not illustrated by the number of adherents. Mere headcount
does not make headway, since at any given time the majority opinion may
favor phlogiston, Chaldean magic, fire worship, or votive sacrifices to
the volcano god. The number of adherents to fundamentalism does not make
it any more respectable, and again, to say so is to confuse headcount
with headway.