[lit-ideas] Re: Faith

  • From: "Mike Geary" <atlas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 18 May 2005 00:25:07 -0500

I've been trying to follow Mirembe's lead of treating the question of Faith
poetically.  We all live by faith.  Faith that there really is a world out
there and that we're in it.  But all my attempts have been more that a bit
jejune -- as bromide stuffed as a graduation speech.  Faith isn't about
God -- unless you want it to be.  Faith is about oneself mostly.  About what
you want to happen.  About your attitude towards yourself and all others.
Forget God.  'God' is just a word.  No one wants God.  We all only want
ourselves to blossom and suck in the sun and be diddled by bees. God is
having people take notice.  Having people care.  That's God.  That's all God
ever is.  Joy in our selves.  Faith is faith in life.  And since I can't do
justice to Mirembe's musings I offer Merwin's GIFT which I find rich in
intepretation possibilites,

GIFT

I have to trust what was given to me
if I am to trust anything
it led the stars over the shadowlesws mountain
what does it know remember in its night and silence
what does it not hope knowing itself no child of time

what did it not begin what will it not end
I have to hold it up in my hands as my ribs hold up my heart
I have to let it open its wings and fly amontg the gifts of the unknown
again in the mountain I have to turn to the morning

I must be led by what was given to me
as streams are led by it
and braiding flights of birds
the groping of veins the learning of plaints
the thankful daysbreath by breath

I call to it Nameless One O Invisible
Untouchable Free
I am nameless, I am divided