[lit-ideas] Fairness Piece

  • From: Eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 6 Sep 2005 23:30:43 EDT

Hi, to all!

I appreciate hearing from all of you!

The Kansas City area is getting the overflow from St. Louis as well as some
on their own. Two large churches have been sending buses down to LA to pick
people up -- the outpouring from those around here and that I'm hearing
elsewhere is simply wonderful.

Even Walmart is making an effort--they've given what? How many million and
offered jobs to any Walmart employee from LA or MS in any Walmart in the
country.

My convention slated for NO in November has been changed--they are
negotiating with a different city.  Don't know where...but they just  decided
today.

It's hard to work a regular job--interesting in some sort of weird  way, one
is not supposed to 'talk' about things. That was my day. But, maybe it  is
just as well. Given that I know the attitudes of who I'm working  with...

This is from the conservative "Intercessors for America"  newsletter...

Interesting. (Though remember that the whole national disaster volunteer
world is made up primarily of people of faith...of all varieties...with
smatterings of groups like the Humane Society, etc--and I *think* I recall that
 Tony
Perkins is Baptist...and they have been working really hard in this whole
mess...)

The Family Research Council is one of the most conservative groups and I  was
around when they were being formed...remembering the grassroots efforts and
the planning, now, makes me pause. Though Tony Perkins, actually, is one of
the  more 'balanced' souls involved in that group, it is still stunning to see
them  facing and acknowledging the difficulties of working with FEMA

Maybe there is hope, yet...

Best,
Marlena in Missouri

âCHURCH  / STATEâ RED TAPE HINDERING RELIEF EFFORTS
Tony Perkins of the Family Research  Council reported this afternoon that, at
one site in Louisiana alone,  there are hundreds of volunteers forming
"chainsaw brigades" to remove fallen  trees, clearing the paths for relief and
repair efforts. He has also observed  firsthand the bureaucratic obstacles in
working with the Federal Emergency  Management Agency (FEMA) and the Red Cross.
While FEMA has directly asked  churches to become shelters for victims of
Hurricane Katrina, yet they are  offering no support to these churches because
of
their general reluctance to  work with "uncertified" faith-based organizations.
Survivors are sleeping on  church floors while thousands of cots are reportedly
unused in FEMA warehouses,  due to red tape. The Red Cross, in turn, is
reluctant to work with  non-FEMA-approved organizations. In the meantime the
churches carry on with  their mission, as they always have. Please open up your
hearts and go to _prccompassion_
(http://pull.xmr3.com/p/476-6EC2/53410803/http-prccompassion-.html)  or
_katrinaresponse_
(http://pull.xmr3.com/p/476-6D02/53410806/http-www.katrinaresponse.net-.html)
or other  sites you are aware of to
donate supplies or whatever you can directly to the  effort.