[lit-ideas] Re: "Facetitious factitious ficticious" or feverishly fantastic football?

  • From: Paul Stone <pastone@xxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 22 Jun 2009 14:14:58 -0400

[very humourous mal-dream expurgated]

> Meanwhile, those players not duped by the clowning carry on with their game
> down at the other end.
>
> Karl Trogge
> Hamburg

IIRC, in the 1975 NHL (National Hockey League) playoffs --
affectionately labeled the "fog series" because of very humid May
weather in Buffalo, NY which caused the players to be skating around
blind in the arena. To combat it, they periodically skated around the
arena (about 40 guys) quickly to cause a cyclonic action to raise the
fog to continue the game -- The philadelphia fans decided that to
further discombobulate the opponent, they would throw numerous pucks
on the ice in the middle of play (of course, only during Buffalo's
possession) often resulting in mayhem and confusion. The refs had no
recourse but to blow the whistle. I wonder if they added some sort of
forfeit rule for that happening in the future, because I've never seen
that happen since.

testing my 35 year old memories,