[lit-ideas] Re: FW: Six Characters in Search of an Author

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 27 Dec 2005 10:38:39 -0500

I couldn't agree more, and you expressed it beautifully.  I think most harm
is unintentional because it feels right, as you say, which is what makes it
all the more frightening and powerful, especially because it often becomes
confused with love.  That's why I keep insisting that love needs to be
defined.  It's why the world is such a mess and why I think parenting
training needs to be required.  It's also why parenting training doesn't
stand a chance, because for most people it means unlearning everything that
feels right.
Regarding the use of, as I accidentally discovered, in my case Glen
Campbell, those techniques have been codified into Jon Kabat-Zinn's work
and many other places.  New Age meets Medical School.

Regarding if they gave a war and nobody came, there would be no mutilated
bodies, no grieving traumatized survivors, no damaged infrastructure, no
scorched polluted forests and a lot of money left over.  Even with all of
that, war is still delectable enough to make it worth sacrificing the self
for.  Sacrifice feels so right.  Obviously an awful lot of people confuse
pain with love.  That's all I have time for.  Talk to you later.