[lit-ideas] Re: FW: Re: What's my number?

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Feb 2006 08:31:17 -0800

I wonder if I can try it. Is it painful?

It used to be painful. They stuck a drill into your hip bone, cored you, and pumped out the marrow. Yikes! To be honest, I signed up, but I had hoped I would be neither called nor chosen.

But that was the process years ago. Now, it's a much smaller needle. The pain is (she told me) about like being a bit sore after a long hike. Everyone walks out the same day, and a few aspirin for several days is sufficient.

The donor candidate pool has too many white people; if you're Northern Euro-something, they won't accept you. In fact, you have to pay $75 or $100 to join (this is to discourage applicants).

What the candidate pool needs is Latino, Asian, and Blacks. Too few donors.

Carol forwarded my numbers to her-son-the-geneticist-at-Berkeley. If he can explain what they mean, she'll post it to the list.

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com