[lit-ideas] Re: FW: Re: FAVORITE CHRISTMAS CAROL

  • From: "Andreas Ramos" <andreas@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Dec 2005 12:34:42 -0800

Has anyone actually read this book?

yrs,
andreas
www.andreas.com

----- Original Message ----- From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Sent: Tuesday, December 20, 2005 11:42 AM
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: FW: Re: FAVORITE CHRISTMAS CAROL

I heard her interviewed. Her latest book _Are Men Necessary_ is something of a tongue in cheek (the cover is intended to show that). The title is intentionally provocative to get people talking, but she's also serious in it. She thinks the women's movement has failed. I agree with that too. At the same time she thinks the world is being feminized and there's (I think I heard this before) an evolutionary dying out of the Y chromosome. Nothing we have to worry about but on a grand scale, like 100,000 years it's supposedly coming. The part about Bush & Co. is actually serious. They're all a bunch of ultra macho men, invading (what's the word they use? penetrating?) Iraq. It's as good an explanation of a pointless, unexplainable war as any other explanation. Macho Bush is now ironically surrounded by women. The book is serious as well as light. Actually, I haven't liked Dowd since she lambasted Clinton for absolutely no reason way back in the 90's. I also heard her i
nterviewed on Booknotes and she admits to being a very insecure person. But then, who isn't insecure?

I'm not clear on what you think isn't one of my strengths. A sense of humor? Maybe you're right. We're not always the best judges of our strengths or weaknesses. Regarding evolving, I like to think so. The way I do it is by understanding why I do things. Lots of times I fail, but I succeed often enough to make the journey a lot more interesting than if I had no insight into myself.

----- Original Message ----- From: Stan Spiegel