[lit-ideas] FW: Great Gatsby

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: "lit-ideas" <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Sat, 17 Dec 2005 22:26:09 -0500

Just finished watching The Great Gatsby.  Loved it.  It was the A&E
production, it followed and quoted the book.  I don't see why it's called the
great American novel though.  The futility of journeying into the past because
Americans don't have a past?   I'm clutching at straws.   I really don't know.
I was a little disappointed (I read it forever ago) that Gatsby's motivations
were a variation on Tristan and Isolde.  He was basically a good person, if a
shady business person.  Daisy and Tom of course are low lifes, and the low
lifes beat the system.  The unattended funeral contrasted against the
overflowing parties exactly captures Ellla Wheeler Wilcox's poem Solitude, ...
"Rejoice, and men will seek you; Grieve, and they turn and go ...".    I don't
think this is peculiar to the 20th, or any other century.

For Mike, thanks for the suggestions.  I put them on the list.

Just want to say, sorry about all these durn typos.  ("got too late last
[night] to finish it").  The problem is, in part, that as fast as my fingers
are (and they're pretty fast), my head is faster.  Then when I proofread, I
read what's in my head, not what's on the page.  I don't know how you people do
it, your posts are usually so flawless ...
Anyway, tonight's movie (an extra movie this week, Bill had a day off) is The
Great Gatsby.  Don't know how close it is to the book.  I know Fitzgerald was a
very unhappy person, he died young at 44.  No doubt there's a touch of Felini
in the isolation cloaked in partying of the American gliterati, Modern period.
Isolation springs eternal.