[lit-ideas] Re: FW: FW: WTO and Immigration

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 8 Dec 2005 22:35:45 -0500

You sound annoyed, maybe even angry, and I can't blame you.  But you forget
that it wasn't my fault I couldn't get on this list under my real name.
It's not like I didn't try. I'm sorry about Andy too.  I actually miss him.
I hope it was a little bit of fun for other people.  In any case, I
understand and respect your anger, I sincerely do.  I know Andy wasn't your
favorite person, but he did like you Brother Philbert.  He didn't even care
that Canadians talk funny.

Regarding sending this thing three times, I sent it, the phone rang.  While
talking on the phone I looked better at the link and saw the thing about
Congress.  Sent it again.  Hung up, looked at it another time before
shutting down and saw yet more in the link.  Those are all excuses.  I
think the real issue I'm discombulated because of this alter ego thing.
Ordinarily I wouldn't have done that.

Changing the subject, question to Julie or Erin, what's the difference
between Hebrew, Jewish, and Yiddish?  I think languages are cool too.  I
watch Russian television over the Internet (unfortunately, there are no
Russian cable stations in my area).  Some of it's great, the movies and
all.  They actually run the Simpsons in translation on one of their
stations.  It was so interesting to watch it Russian.  Basically, they see
the Simpsons as a kid's cartoon, where really it's more for adults here.
Some of the humor doesn't translate well.  For example, the episode I saw
had Lisa winning Miss Junior Springfield.  She gets to ride on a parade
float after endorsing a cigarette manufacturer.  She's aghast that everyone
is smoking so she stops the parade and gives up her crown.  A newspaper
headline reads: Lisa Kicks Butt!  That is intranslatable.  It comes up
something like Lisa is Angry!  I kind of think it has to be the same way
when Americans watched Monty Python, at least in the beginning.  I had an
English friend (way back) who asked me how I could think it was funny since
it was satirizing English behaviors and whatever.  I was kind of relieved
when he said that because in fact back then I didn't get it (my husband
always laughed.  Maybe it's a gender thing, like the Three Stooges).  Now
so much of it is in the lexicon that even I think it's funny  Anyway, just
thought I'd mention it.  Languages are great.

Slowly combobulating,
Irene