[lit-ideas] Re: Experience of War

  • From: "Andy Amago" <aamago@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 8 May 2006 23:43:14 -0400

Unbearable violence also shuts people down.  It's the very thing that
creates perpetrators.  It's the very thing that created Stalin, the extreme
beatings that he got from his father.  So you're saying that Lawrence is
shut down?  That's consistent with his constantly reverting to the safer
cerebral area that doesn't involve emotions.  If that's the case, then
that's all the more reason one doesn't fight a war, because the people
running it are incapable of being truly rational, again using Stalin or
Hitler or Saddam as an example.  To be truly rational one needs to be able
to feel.