[lit-ideas] Re: Expectant Father (Was: Tautology)

  • From: JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Thu, 23 Sep 2004 19:36:41 EDT

Many years ago when I was teaching pre-school, there was a young co-worker
who was very heavy around the middle.  It kept getting worse.  She was
unmarried.  She kept telling us she thought she had a thyroid problem and  kept
going
to the Dr's to figure out what was wrong.  One day she didn't  show up to
work and the owner told me she had called to say she had had a baby  and didn't
even know she was pregnant.  She said, believably, that it was  quite a shock.
You had to know her to believe her.  I have never ever  ever been able to
understand that one.  But it's an honest to God true  story.

Julie Krueger
========Original  Message========     Subj: [lit-ideas] Re: Expectant Father
(Was: Tautology)  Date: 9/22/04 12:00:25 PM Central Daylight Time  From:
_Jlsperanza@xxxxxxxx (mailto:Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx)   To:
_lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx

In a message dated 9/22/2004 12:42:06 PM  Eastern Standard Time,
donalmcevoyuk@xxxxxxxxxxx  writes:
McEvoy  would also say that since some women (sadly) give birth  not even
knowing  what is happening until it is all over there is also  a
counter-example to  the "expectant mother", unless we engage again in  similar
"irresponsible  analyticism" ie. stipulating such a person is  somehow not a
mother for the  purposes of the expression "expectant  mother".

Here's an expression for  discussion as  analytic/tautologous - "Popper was
bored by most analytic  philosophy as  trivial and question-begging because of
the kinds of reason  given here  by way of reply to JLS".

----

Well, thank  you.

I now see what P. Stone thought when he thought that 'expectant  mother' was
a tautology.

Apparently, 'expecting [sic, null  set]' is "slang" for "... is  pregnant".

Since a father can not be  pregnant, I can't see how McEvoy goes on to
justify the expression  "expectant _father_". Surely synthetic a posteriori,
and  a
posteriori  false.

Now, as applied to 'mother', the idea is:

"Alice is expecting" iff "Alice is  pregnant".

The path  from "... is expecting" to " ... is an expectant mother" is
syntactic.

If we are broad-minded enough to apply 'expectant' for a  _past_ adverbial
("She _was_ an expectant mother"), then, via the  principle:

Once an expectant mother,
always an expectant  mother

-- then,  _indeed_, 'expectant mother' _is_ tautologous (and indeed
redundant);  for, surely, every mother has (to be, at some time) 'pregnant'
and  that's
what the 'expecting' idiom merely  means.

Cheers,

JL