[lit-ideas] Re: Euthyphro and the Obits

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 16:40:47 -0800

Would that be a good name for a band?

On Dec 11, 2006, at 12:42 AM, Chris Bruce wrote:

David, that last line is beautiful ansd profound - it reminds me of something from Walter Benjamin (at the moment I can't think of higher praise).

Then I think of some of the garments translators have dressed Heidegger in, and I burst into laughter (yes, sometimes he deserved it).

And then there's 'a suit of armor no one had peed in' - did that sneak in from your Christmas wish list?

How virile some translations look in their polished armour ... (but what's that smell?).

If anyone wants to send me a suit of armor for Christmas, even a suit that needs a bit of a rinse, that's fine with me. I'll make room.

And so to the obits.

A friend wrote:

Just saw an obit for a woman named Reta Mae Stalnaker (husband,
Kermit; son, Kim) whose parents' names,
were Fleet and Pearl Riddle Fling. Yes: her father's name was Fleet
Fling. It sounds like an Olympic track-and-field event.

Nothing quite so interesting here.

Rhelda "Dickie" Stone was a Conrad who married Glen H. Stone. Together they had two sons: Craig and Mark. They called their daughter "Glenna."

Diane Etoile Murphy seems to have come by the Etoile by virtue of being married twice. Mr. and Mrs. Etoile owned "Life Enterprises," a wholesale distributor of bicycle parts.

Stanford Merle Dawkins is survived by several people, including Joyce Delaughter.

David Ritchie,
Portland, Oregon.