[lit-ideas] Re: Euthyphro & Habermas

  • From: David Ritchie <ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sun, 17 Dec 2006 21:25:45 -0800

On Dec 17, 2006, at 9:01 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

M. Geary wrote:

Yes, but I wasn't worried about you [David Ritchie]. You have a boat buried in your back yard on which you could survive the 40 days and 40 nights. Poor RP has nothing but the concept of a boat. We must look out for the philosophers -- it's a Categorical Imperative, I do believe.

Philosophers have the Ship of Theseus at their disposal. In fact, that pile of planks in David Ritchie's back yard might turn out to _be_ the Ship of Theseus
if they were assembled properly.

Oooh, I have been "outed."

Roll the photos, Erin.

Actually, if you were paying attention, the photos of Barbie featured a boat which, indeed, is my garden's folly, a 1954, 42 foot long Chriscraft to be exact.

See Romantic theory of gardening--under hermits, ruins and other garden delights-- for details and aesthical refs.

I don't know nuttin about no Ship of Theseus. My boat is called the "S.S. Neverbudge," after a steamship my father imagined in nineteen thirty something.

Lest any of you is thinking of boarding, taking it by storm, I should warn you it's secured on the one approach by a literary cannon, and on the other by a duck punt gun. I'll tell you about the duck punt gun if you only ask.

David Ritchie,
back from crabbing with fingernails all broken,
and truly stuffed with maybe twenty pound of crab in
Portland, Oregon