[lit-ideas] Re: Euthyphro

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx, JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 18:06:54 -0330

Try Kant's 2nd Critique on the distinction between conceptions of the good and
the form of moral law, and on the epistemic priority of the latter over the
former. Also see Habermas's *Moral consciousness and communicative action* and
"*Justice and application" for this same distinction. H gives things a
dialogical, discursive twist that has sent tidal waves across contemporary
moral, social and political philosophy. The basic question is whether morality
must be understood in formalist, cognitivist, deontological terms, or in
"aretaic" terms as developed by the Aristotelians (i.e., Taylor, MacIntyre,
Wellmer, Benhabib.) One claim is that Aristotle provides us with an "ethic",
but he has nothing to say about "morality" in Kantian terms. On that view,
those translations of Aristotle that translate "virtues of character" as "moral
virtues" erroneously (anachronistically) attribute to Aristotle the idea that
all human agents, simply in virtue of their rational autonomy, have obligations
to respect,and at times, promote the autonomy and dignity of others.
Supposedly, Aristotle never in his wildest nocturnal dreams ever approached
anything resembling that idea, or so the debate goes.  We won't even mention
Richard Rorty, of course.

Walter C. Okshevsky
MUN

Quoting JimKandJulieB@xxxxxxx: