[lit-ideas] Re: Euthyphro

  • From: wokshevs@xxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Sat, 9 Dec 2006 17:49:05 -0330

Nicht so wahr. The question S addresses is whether piety is a genuine virtue
because the gods love piety or whether the gods love piety because it is a
genuine virtue regardless of who loves it (inc. the gods, of course). If the
latter, then we humans are alone, terribly alone, in determining what is right,
moral, just and true. The only epistemic and moral resources available to us,
in that case, come to be encapsulated in the notion of "giving an account."
Based on this idea that only reasons can set us free, we got the ideas of
rationality, democracy, deontological morality, "education" in differentiation
from socialization and indoctrination, and, in Canda, the Charter of Rights and
Freedoms (the notwithstanding clause notwithstanding, of course.) But I must
return to a time-sensitive paper that is still going nowhere big time. Looking
forward to a close reading of the dialogue, but not sure I can participate very
much in decoding its twists and turns. Friedlander is a fine secondary source
to read, btw.

Walter C. Okshevsky
MUN