[lit-ideas] Re: Euthyphro

  • From: Chris Bruce <bruce@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 11 Dec 2006 09:42:52 +0100

On 11. Dez 2006, at 04:22, David Ritchie wrote:

On Dec 9, 2006, at 12:59 PM, Robert Paul wrote:

maybe
there's a slightly cleaner one somewhere.

Ah the eternal hope. We humans strove, we struggled out of the bog, and always there was the promise of a real stone floor in a hut not stuffed with smoke, of a bed with fewer fleas, of a suit of armor no one had peed in, of running water and a proper sewer, of two sets of clothes, of a table not wiped with a dirty rag, of food that was bacterially or virally trustworthy, of a hospital free of iatrogenic disease, of a translation that models fidelity for us.

How handsome the translation looks in that clean gown.

David, that last line is beautiful ansd profound - it reminds me of something from Walter Benjamin (at the moment I can't think of higher praise).

Then I think of some of the garments translators have dressed Heidegger in, and I burst into laughter (yes, sometimes he deserved it).

And then there's 'a suit of armor no one had peed in' - did that sneak in from your Christmas wish list?

How virile some translations look in their polished armour ... (but what's that smell?).

Chris Bruce,
looking for German translations of the Euthyphro in its underwear
with no rust stains in delicate places, in
Kiel, Germany

P.S. Apparently the Heidegger brothers were quite a comedy team - with Martin as the straight man. So what most of us get is really only half of the act. I've read an anecdote where someone once mistook Fritz for Martin, and he didn't disabuse her. Fritz remained the more popular of the two brothers in the Heidegger hometown (Messkirch), where even at the height of his fame Martin was known and refered to as 'Fritz's brother'. Fritz was also Martin's typist (and sometimes co-editor - could it have been a ventriloquist act?) and stored 30,000 pages of manuscript in a bank vault for Martin during the war. I think I saw a book about the brothers on bookstore shelves recently (I'm not looking too closely because it will undoubtedly appear 'in suitable raiment' on the 'gift table' in either 11 or 13 days; this is not the time of year for me to be buying either books or music recordings). I'll report to the list on it (them) later ....

CB