[lit-ideas] Ethnic Humour (Was: History of Humour)

  • From: Jlsperanza@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Wed, 8 Sep 2004 23:39:44 EDT

In a message dated 9/8/2004 11:32:16 PM Eastern Standard Time,
ritchierd@xxxxxxxxxxxxx writes:
Those of  you who have followed my musings will know that I once wondered if
a course  could be taught on the history of humo[u]r.  I'll let you know  whe=
I've managed it, but I thought that some of you might like to see  the
reading list.

Thanks. I wonder how specific one can go as to give a taxonomy of 'ethnic'
types of humor. You have "American humor", and "Southern humor" (i.e. American
Southern humor).

You have "French humor" and "Canadian humor"; "British humor" and "English
humor" and "Scots humour", "Scottish humour" and "Celtic humour", and "Highland
 humour," vs. "Lowland humour" -- and "Hebridean humour".

But then you have, I suppose, "Yorkshire humour" vs. "Cockney humour". I
wonder if a list can be given of books or articles that go into the specifics
of
these kinds of 'ethnic' humour.

"Japanese humour" as distinguished from general "Asian" humour, for example
-- and so on.

(It should be understood that "Yorkshire humour" is humour that Yorkshire
people find amusing (if that's not a tautology) -- and not humour 'involving'
Yorkshire people).

Cheers,

JL