[lit-ideas] Re: Erin's Course Dilemma

  • From: "Phil Enns" <phil.enns@xxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Jan 2005 07:38:17 -0500

Michael Chase wrote:

"Now, whatever Phil says, this is clear proof that Nietzsche does reject
truth, for the excellent reason that he states so unambiguously."

I had assumed that Michael would be more sensitive to the nuances of
language.  There are many different ways in which we use the word
'truth'.  What Nietzsche is rejecting, as I showed in both my argument
and in my quotes from Nietzsche, is a metaphysical theory of truth where
truth is something independent of life.  Let's call this theory of truth
'Truth'.  Nietzsche can reject Truth while still acknowledging that '2 +
2 = 4' is true.  No contradiction, no problem.  I have the utmost
respect for Michael's linguistic skills so I find this lapse a bit
confusing.

Sincerely,

Phil Enns
Toronto, ON