[lit-ideas] Re: English Pubic Schools

  • From: eternitytime1@xxxxxxx
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 17 Feb 2006 11:20:49 -0500

 Hi,
What will you do if you cannot afford a long over due counselor or the
counselor has no more options?

What if the kid still refuses to do what you say and is still beating  you?
 and what would you say if your kid started beating you?  How would you get
away and handle it?  What if it happened over and over?

****If the kid started beating me, I'd say, where did you learn how to do that?
 If it happened over and over, I'd get myself to a long overdue counselor and
wonder what I did wrong and what are my options at this point.  By then the
damage can still be reversed, but preventing the damage is far easier, needless
to say.

Did you see the story last year about the couple who moved out of their own
home and lived in the yard because they couldn't get their kids to do anything
and the kids were running the house?  and legally they couldn't tell the kids
to go away and live somewhere else?

****That was a couple of really bad parents.  People think respect and
nonviolence equates to no boundaries at all.  It's exactly the opposite.  Kids
NEED boundaries, they WANT boundaries.  They don't want friends, they want
parents.  You're arguing in favor of people FIRST getting a clue, then having
the kid.  Also, people unconsciously cue kids to live out their "unfinished
business".  The parents need extensive psychotherapy, and, unfortunately,
having messed up the kids, the kids need it too.

Irene--Okay, but you better get on that phone to your senator and
representative as the funding for any of that is being cut.

What would you have done if you were the parents in Florida?  No one else gave
them any ideas...so I'm curious to know what you would have done.

I commend you for at least getting rational finally, admitting that maybe, just
maybe there's another way to look at things.  Most people feel too threatened
to do even that much.

Irene--I think that most everyone on this list is here because they are
interested in different points of view.  The only one who I think has a really
hard time looking at other points of view is ... um ... you.  I say that as
gently as I can, too. I often wonder at that in regards to your posts--and
while if you were me <g>, you would probably attribute it to a bad childhood or
having been beaten, I tend to think it is because you simply choose not to read
what other people write.

But, I'm glad that they respond to you because I always find *their* responses
interesting.

Btw, what would YOU do if you were in a business situation which was untenable
and you could not leave?

Best,
Marlena in Missouri

Best,