[lit-ideas] Re: England good at "incorporating" immigrants

  • From: Judith Evans <judithevans001@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Tue, 26 Apr 2011 21:30:07 +0100 (BST)

I was wrong, he doesn't only mean, e.g. Andrea Levy, he seems to include anyone
black or Asian writing in English who lives or has lived in England -- so,
includes Naipaul, Rushdie,
and Okri.  A neat bit of cultural appropriation.

Caryl Phillips, Lawrence, calls England a "mongrel nation".

From: Lawrence Helm <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
Subject: [lit-ideas] Re: England good at "incorporating" immigrants
To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Date: Tuesday, 26 April, 2011, 20:03

JLS,

You can see I hope how “assimilate” is right for American immigrants (whether
or not it is right for English ones) – or at least it used to be right (this
goal may have been degraded in recent times).   Washington and Adams may have
had English ancestries but Kennedy’s was Irish, Eisenhower’s probably German,
and Johnson’s perhaps Scandinavian.  Still those distinctions never enter into
political discussions, for all Americans came from some place – and then they
assimilated and became roughly indistinguishable from everyone else.  What was
Bush’s ancestry?  I’m not sure I’ve ever heard anyone bring that up.  Why would
they?  (Granted Obama’s ancestry has been brought up but only because some are
challenging whether he was born in America and thus not eligible to be
president – not one of my concerns btw).

Hitler called us a nation of mongrels and, therefore, not up to facing the
Wehrmacht in battle.  Is Britain (England, et al) on its own special road to
becoming a nation of mongrels?  And what of Germany?  Are the Turks
‘assimilating” or merely “incorporating.”  The implication of King’s words may
be that the “mongrelization” process is much further along in England than in
Germany.

I’ve read a bit further in Bruce King’s book.  He mentions conflicts aplenty,
one of the most notable in regard to British housing.  He mentions influences
from the countries the immigrants came from, including Islamic Fundamentalism.
These influences, King tells us, fade away as time goes on and the immigrants
become more and more English (British).  King is obviously of the school that
believes the Fundamentalist-Islamic threat exaggerated.

As to King’s use of the term “English” rather than “British,” he is after all
writing Volume 13 of The Oxford English Literary History.”  He doesn’t
distinguish well enough for the language-critics the difference between English
as a language that great literature has been and is still being written and
England (a sometime synonym for “Britain”) the nation, and while I have a few
problems with what King has written that isn’t one of them.

Lawrence