[lit-ideas] Re: Duffy watching the ducks

  • From: "Lawrence Helm" <lawrencehelm@xxxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: <lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • Date: Mon, 31 Jan 2011 07:36:59 -0800

No, it isn't a catfish pond.  I wish it was.  It is some sort of
water-reclamation activity.  Bad water is pumped into the ponds (there are 4
of them alongside the river) and something is eventually done with it.
During the hot months the smell is noticeable.

I suspect we don't have enough rainfall in Southern California to
accommodate catfish ponds.  We are worried about water shortage and are
doing things that don't seem terribly clever.  Something resembling the pond
in the photo was built not far from my house.  Some former farmland was
dredged and a fence was built around it.  Drain-off from the local gutters
was supposed to go into it.  The idea is that when we have a heavy rain, the
water won't flood the streets nearby but drain into this pond.   I waited
for the first heavy rain with anticipation.  By the time it came, the drains
by the pond were blocked by dirt and debris and the streets flooded as
usual.   But rainwater put some nice water in the pond.  I'm sure it will
help the water table a bit.  Ducks like this pond as well, but it isn't as
picturesque as the ones (at least two of them) by the river.

Lawrence