[lit-ideas] Re: Dr. Cockburn, Bill Bennett, Racist America

  • From: "Veronica Caley" <vcaley@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 10 Oct 2005 16:34:43 -0400

 Guess the classic example is Robert MacNamara's "100,000" -- the
> dirty dozen of our socioeconomic sphere sent into high-casualty
> areas in Vietnam. These we could afford to lose, we reasoned.

I don't think they were pleased to lose them.  They thought they were going
to lose all of Asia to Communism.  Which after all turned out to be just
another religion of sorts.  I don't consider McNamara a liberal.  And after
all we learned about Communism, they were probably right to protect people
from it.  Or try to.  Now, if someone would try to protect people from the
worst excesses of capitalism, I would be happy to support that.

Veronica