[lit-ideas] Re: Don't Panic

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Fri, 12 Jan 2007 14:38:42 -0500

John: So, is Militant Islam dangerous? Damned straight.
Do terrorists armed with WMD pose a terrifying threat? No question about it. Do we still need a strong military? Yes.

We also need something like a Marshall Plan for the Middle East and the help of allies equally committed to a smart, basically police plus SWAT teams, approach based on good intelligence, to going after the bad guys.

Eric: John and I are in agreement here, except that I would take his "police plus SWAT teams approach" and add Predator Drones, Tomahawk Missiles, Special Ops force insertion, and pre-emptive strikes at proven WMD facilities. "Police plus SWAT" is just not strong enough to get the job done.

In addition, I would take the source of John's earlier pride, namely of "standing eyeball-to-eyeball with the bad guys and making it perfectly clear that anyone looking to destroy the U.S.A. or its allies better not hope to survive the experience," and make it a policy for dealing with terrorists: "If NYC gets nuked, so does Mecca, Damascus, Tehran, etc."

John: What we don't need is panicky voices telling us that to be safe we need to vaporize half the world. That's just nuts.

Eric: Yes, it is nuts. Of course, I haven't read anyone on the list who is proposing that.