[lit-ideas] Donna and Jesse

  • From: Eric Yost <eyost1132@xxxxxxxxxxxxx>
  • To: lit-ideas@xxxxxxxxxxxxx
  • Date: Mon, 26 Dec 2005 14:16:55 -0500

This from the Maud Newton blog
http://maudnewton.com/blog/?cat=21

_____

As a high school student in Mississippi, Donna Tartt worshipped Hunter S. Thompson, dragging his books everywhere and listing him as the beneficiary of an accidental death and dismemberment insurance policy. But she also spent her time writing and winning essay contests sponsored by right-wing organizations. She explains the paradox in the current (print) issue of Vogue.

During those years (when I was either trapped in my cinder-block bunker of a school down in Mississippi or â more entertainingly â roaming drunk around airports as the all-expenses-paid guest of political organizations whose values I didnât share), Dr. Hunter S. Thompson was my constant companion. I kept his books in my locker at school, and I smiled for group pictures on the Capitol steps with his gloomy voice (psychotic... delusional... how long can we maintain?) echoing in my ears. In my own view, I was a double agent: an outwardly cheerful and apparently harmless American child who had by some insane whim of the governing class been welcomed deep into the heart of Republican darkness. I believed that I was a member of Uncle Dukeâs secret army, entrenched behind enemy lines; and furthermore, I believed that I was not alone. I believed that scores of other kids like me were keeping their eyes and ears open in hick towns all across America: a nest of hissing vipers, nursed deep in the bosom of Jesse Helms and the Moral Majority. And I believed that someday, when we grew up, we would take over the country.

    I was wrong.

_____